Tuesday 26 May 2015

Exam study tips

One of the most dreaded times of the year as a student: exams. Even the word sends shivers down my spine. Over the years, I have found the ways of studying that work for me. Since exams are just around the corner here is good old Victoria, I have decided to share a few tips with you. Hopefully these come in handy :)




















Highlight, but DO NOT go overboard
Have you ever tried to highlight "the important notes", but end up turning the page into a rainbow of colours. It is important not to get carried away and actually stick to the important information.
It may be beneficial to create a colour coding system. Have a particular colour for different things(eg, blue for key terms, green for dates...etc)

Breaks are not the enemy
I don't know about you, but I cannot study for hours on end without breaks and remaining sane. You need to allow some time out to stop yourself from going study crazy. Plus, it has been proven that taking short, regular breaks can help obtain more information.
This doesn't mean taking a 3 hour break for 20 minutes of study though :P I'd suggest a 5-10 minute break for every 30 minutes. 

"I'll just leave it until the night before"
I should probably take my own advice more often on this one, but leaving everything to the last minute can create excessive stress when trying to cram 6 months of content into only a few hours of revision. Try to study everything a week(or more) before, go over notes the night before and briefly revise on your weak areas in the morning of the exam. 

Make your weaknesses the priority
A lot of us will try to spend an equal amount of time on everything needed to know. But some things require a little more time. By focussing on the things you struggle on more predominantly, you may actually eliminate your weakest areas. Don't bother wasting time on the things you know off by heart.

Study cards
If you are lazy like me, you don't want to waste time and effort writing up hundreds of study cards(well, hundreds is a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point). I use flashcards on my phone as it's a great app that takes up much less time and is much more efficient in my opinion. 

Do not over stress yourself 
If you are so worked up that you can barely concentrate, chances are that you aren't going to achieve your potential. It's normal to stress, but remind yourself that it is not the end of the world if you don't get a perfect grade.


Let me know if any of this helped :) What do you find most effective when studying?

∆ Stay beautiful, Bri xx

No comments:

Post a Comment