Thursday 6 August 2015

Choosing a future career:




























Thinking of the future is daunting. Deciding on a career to pursue can be even worse. It's fine for some; the ones that know exactly who they are and what they want to be. But for the rest of us, it's just not that simple.

Having one year of high school left, thinking about the future is terrifying me. I need to decide on a university to go to and what course I want to take. But the more I think about it, the more confused I get on what I want in life. I used to have my future career perfectly figured out; I wanted to become a Primary school teacher. Maybe some part of me still does. It would be satisfying and enjoyable, but would I truly love it?

In the last month, I have changed and my dreams for the future have changed along with me.
Since taking up creative writing and my love for books again, I yearn for a career in book publication. The thought of using my passion in a career sounds like the best job in the world. My heart is with reading & writing and in my head, I know it is the option I favour most. At the same time though, the chance that I may not succeed in a difficult industry scares me. If my dream fails, what will I be doing? Will I be ruining my future if I follow such a pathway?

So many questions with so little answers. Between the pressure of everyone's expectations and doubting my capabilities, I'm left more confused than ever. And I know a lot of people feel like this too. After confiding in my best friend and taking in her wise words, I've come to a conclusion that I think everyone should listen to(or choose to ignore if you prefer)...

Happiness if far greater than financial security. You and are the only person who can choose the job you love. You(and only you) know what will make you happy. So what, there is a chance you may not succeed. There is always a chance of failure. But that can't be the reason for not chasing your dreams. Do you really want to look back on your life one day and think 'I wish you chose to do the thing I love'? Follow your dreams and don't stop until you reach them.

∆ Stay beautiful, Bri xx

No comments:

Post a Comment